Sunday, October 30, 2011

Entry One - Reflections

My three pieces were the first free-write we had to do in class, 7 steps, and my counter argument essay. These three, in order, have shaped my topic and have made big changes in what will be my quarter-end final paper.
In our first free-wright was a response to a few different prompts. The reason this free-wright was significant to me is because of the second and third promts. The assignment was to write about something that upset us, and then list communities that we consider ourselves a part of. I wrote about how I was upset with the transfer requirements and lack of support San Diego State University has for out of state students. At the time, this really bothered me. Through this, and thinking about college, all of my communities had to do with education. I was a college student, a high school graduate, involved in the CEO program at Bellevue College, and a Running Start Student.

Being someone who had a very hard time getting through high school, I have had a hard time planning for college. This has made it harder for me to get into SDSU than most other students, and it was upsetting me. This gave me a really good idea for my topic. I wished that I had a school to go to that basically taught me how to become what I wanted to be. This got me onto the idea of schools that specialize in specific subject areas. Examples would be a school for the arts, a journalism school, a school that specializes in doctoral sciences, etc. 

My second piece would be our ‘7-steps’ assignment. In this assignment, we were supposed to follow 7 steps to begin our research on our topics. “the term ‘Career Academies’ is more specific than the words that I had in mind”. Through these steps, I discovered the term career academies. It wasn’t exactly what I had in mind, but it was really interesting to me, and I thought I would explore the idea of vocational training. Career academies have agreements with local business and offer high school students jobs right after they graduate.
But this didn’t have a lot of information. 

Our most recent paper was a counter argument, where we have to take the opposing side of our argument, or a different perspective. 

Through this paper, mixed with the conference that I had with my instructor made me change my topic. Now, I have found the topic I really want to do. I am going to be an advocate for alternative education options for teenagers who don’t fit in with the ‘one size fits all’ mindset offered by most high schools. I want to help those that were like me: at-risk youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment